Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hugs N Kisses 12" Square

 
DragonFlyMomof2 Designs©

“Hugs N Kisses ”
Aurora Suominen Copyright ©2010 All rights reserved.
I Hook & Worsted Weight  Yarn
For Abbreviations/videos/links, see “DragonFlyMomof2 Designs” at http://myblueangels.blogspot.com/
REVISED 2-20-2014


NOTES: Bolded print: Repeat in pattern. “STS”=Stitches: Any st or chsps. BCS: Back cross st=Sk one st, dc in next st, going behind st just made, dc in skipped st.  DEC=Decrease, uses 4dc in pattern, (yo, insert hook in next st, pull up a loop, yo, pull thru 2 loops on hook)4x, Yo, pull thru all 5 loops on hook.  FPDC= Front Post Double crochet: this st is worked around & in front of post of the specified st. Do not work into the top 2 lps of the dc you worked fp around.   POPCORN: 5dc in specified st, remove hook from last dc, and insert into first dc, grabbing the last dc pull through. CLUSTER: (Yo, insert hk in next st, YO, draw yarn thru st, YO, draw yarn thru 2 loops on hook)4X.  YO, draw thru 5 loops on hook. (uses 4sts.) ST COUNTS AT END OF RNDS =  POPCORN STS COUNT AS ONE DC.  BACK CROSS STS (BCS) COUNT AS 2DC.

Rnd 1: ch4, work 9dc in 4th ch from hook, join in top of beg ch. (10dc)



Rnd 2: Ch3 (counts as 1st dc now and throughout) Dc in same st, Work 2dc in each st around, join in top of ch3.  (20dc)


Rnd 3: Ch2, decrease over 3sts.   [Ch7, work a cluster. *see notes]4x   Ch7 & join in in top of first star point. (5 Star Points, 5 Ch7 sps)


Rnd 4: Slst into Ch7 sp & Ch1  [(2sc, fptc around post of dc in rnd 2, 2sc) all in same Ch7 sp.  Ch3,  sk star point.]5x.  Join to first sc. (5fptc, 20sc, 5ch3)


Rnd 5: Ch3, dc in each st, working 4dc in the first 4ch3 spaces, work 3 dc in the last  ch3 space, join.  (44dc)


Rnd 6: Loosely slst into next 4dc,  Beg corner as (ch3, dc, ch2, 2dc) in same dc.  [Dc in 10dc, Work corner as (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in next dc]3x.  Dc in last 10dc & join.  (56dc) Slst in dc & ch2sp.  


Rnd 7: Beg corner in sp. *see bold above.  [Dc in 5dc, fpdc in next dc, do a bcs, *see notes, fpdc in next dc.  Dc in 5dc, (corner in next sp) *see bold in R6.  Dc in 4dc, fpdc in next dc, dc in next dc, popcorn in next dc, dc in next dc, fpdc in next, dc in next 5dc, corner in ch2sp.]2x omitting last corner, join. (72sts) <~SEE END OF NOTES.  Slst in dc & ch2sp.  


Rnd 8: Beg corner,  [Dc in 7dc, fpdc in next dc, do a bcs, fpdc in next dc.  Dc in 7dc,  corner in ch2sp.  Dc in 6dc, fpdc in next fpdc, DC in next 3sts, fpdc in next fpdc, dc in next 7dc, corner in ch2sp]2x, omitting last corner, join.  (88sts) Slst in dc & ch2sp.  


Rnd 9: Beg corner,  [Dc in 3dc, fpdc in next dc, do a bcs, fpdc in next dc. (Dc in next 2dc, fpdc in next dc, do a bcs, fpdc in next dc.)2x.  Dc in next 3dc, corner in next c2sp.  Dc in 2dc, fpdc in next dc, dc in next dc, popcorn in next dc, dc in next dc, fpdc in next dc.  (Dc in next dc, fpdc in next dc, dc in next dc, popcorn in next dc, dc in next dc, fpdc in next dc,)2x.  Dc in next 3dc, corner in ch2sp]2x, omitting last corner, join.  (104sts) Slst in dc & ch2sp.  


Rnd 10: Beg corner,  [Dc in 5dc, fpdc in next dc, do a bcs, fpdc in next dc,  (Dc in next 2dc, fpdc in next dc, do a bcs, fpdc in next dc)2x.  Dc in next 5dc,  corner in ch2sp.  Dc in 4dc, (fpdc in fpdc, dc in 3dc, fpdc in fpdc, dc in next dc)3x. Dc in 4dc, corner in ch2sp.]2x, omitting last corner, join.  (120sts)  Slst in dc & ch2sp.  


Rnd 11: Beg corner,  [Dc in 7dc, fpdc in next dc, do a bcs, fpdc in next dc, dc
in 8sts, fpdc in next dc, do a bcs, fpdc in next dc, dc in 7dc, corner in ch2sp.  Dc in 6dc, (fpdc in fpdc, dc in next dc, popcorn in next dc, dc in next dc, fpdc in fpdc, dc in next dc)3x. Dc in 6dc, corner in ch2sp]2x omitting last corner, join. (136sts)  Slst in dc & ch2sp.  


Rnd 12: Beg corner, [dc in 34sts, corner in ch2sps.]3x.  Dc in last 34sts.  Join (152dc) Fasten off


Personal use only, no pattern reproductions, selling or copying allowed.  Pattern available for download on Ravelry.  "Dragonflymomof2" http://www.ravelry.com/designers/aurora-suominen




26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I belong to a granny square exchange group. I just received a square made from this pattern from my current exchange partner. I love the pattern and will be using it myself for future projects.
Janet

Dragonflymom said...

Thanks Janet, I am glad you like this pattern. I really enjoyed designing it, and it is one of my favorites.

Sweet Linda said...

Since this granny square is 12 inches square, I think it will make a wonderful pillow ~~ and it appears to be "masculine" enough to give to a man !!! :o)

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Hi Linda, this square does make a great pillow. I have done a lot of my squares into pillows. This square was designed for my boys. Thanks so much.

LauraAnne said...

I love this square! Thank you so much for sharing your pattern with us. I can hardly wait to make an afghan. I'm thinking of 20 squares, 4 x 5.

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Thank you LauraAnne.

Dawn Rhinehart said...

Moogly has this as #3 in their CAL. Round 6 has me perplexed and i think it may be due to a mess up in round 5. Is there a tuturial for this with pics step by step or a video? If not can there be? I so love this design and would love to complete it.

Patricia_S said...

I LOVE this pattern! I made it as #3 square in the Moogly 2014 Afghan CAL and I am thrilled with how it turned out. Thank you so much.

Dragonflymomof2 said...

I do believe there is a tutorial for it, let me check, I am about to do lunch then will be gone for awhile tonight, So I will get back to you tomorrow. I am sorry. I think the step by step might be on Ravelry I think.

Penny said...

I can't the pic of this square to load, is anyone else having the same problem. Pictures help me sometimes if I get stuck and right now I am a little bit...so if anyone has the original pic of this square please let me know...thank you...

Suzi said...

I'm having the same problem with round 6! I don't understand the 4 slip stitches at the beginning. Now I've completed the round I've got 3 stitches left so can't just join or I'll have a big hole! Please help a relatively new crocheter!

Unknown said...

Is there any way to download your patterns or print them off?

Kelly S said...

How do I download or print the pattern?

Tonya said...

Thank you for sharing this square for the Moogly CAL! There was enough challenge to make it interesting and the outcome was great!

Dragonflymomof2 said...

I have re-written this pattern, and hopefully found all the mistakes, I know I found them in Rnds 10 and 11. I would like opinions.....I abbreviated the BCS tower and Popcorn Tower, should I leave it this way or write it out in the pattern instructions which is how i did the re-write.

Ashley Sullivan said...

I found this pattern very difficult to follow and thought it could have been written better to be more understandable. i think stitch counts at the end of each row would help greatly and more organization. The Paragraph form in the rows caused me a lot of confusion because you lose your place. With how complex some of these "Special stitches" can get, organization and not paragraphs would have helped. everything was all over the place while listing the stitches and it was not neat at all.

Dragonflymomof2 said...

I know that I asked for your opinions and take them happily. What I will not allow is rude comments. I have received a few comments that I have not approved due to them being just mean!! I have been the first to admit this pattern is in serious need of a re-write, IT WAS after all one of my very first designs!! With that said, don't comment telling me I don't know how to write, or that I did a very poor job at doing it. I CLEARLY admitted it was poorly written, and that I was working on improving it, so I didn't need anyone telling me that, what I was and still am asking for is how you think I can make it easier to read/understand. Thank you so much to those who do comment about my patterns and offer up suggestions/corrections. I am appreciate it very much.

Dragonflymomof2 said...

stitch counts are being added to the re-write. I expect the re-write to be posted within the next 2 days.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your square with the Moogly 2014 CAL. I took a little time out to finish some baby things for my great nieces, but now back to the CAL. Just getting ready to start your square and can't wait!!

Kasi said...

I have finished the square and was wondering if my count is correct. On the bobble side not counting the corner stitches I have 34, and on the other side not counting corner stitches I have 40. Is this correct or did I make a mistake somewhere? I think putting a DC in the ch1 sp between the fpdc and the cross stitch is what made the count different from the other side. I thought the pattern was very easy to read.

Jamie said...

Thanks for a great design! I am doing the Moogly CAL :)

Dragonflymomof2 said...

thank you! I think I will take out the ch1 sps before and after the bcs

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Kasi, please see the new pattern, I appreciate everyone and their comments and hopefully this square will work much more easier when reading. AT the end of the re-write st counts include the popcorn as 1 st, and the bcs as 2dc. There should be an even amount of sts on each side now.

Sue L said...

I was struggling with the pattern until I finally figured out the counts. I finished mine today. And then I discovered your re-write. Timing! Oh well. I think including stitch counts at the end of each round was a very good improvement. I ended up not doing a DC in the ch 1 in order to get a correct count. I think it looks fine that way and don't intend on redoing the square. I do like your pattern, especially the star in the middle. Thanks for doing the rewrite

Mary Valenti said...

I do appreciate your work. It's quite beautiful. I am very new to crochet so my questions maybe foolish. In round 3 you write chain 2 decrease over 3 stitches. Do you mean skip? Chain 7 and cluster.

I am confused.
is there a video?
Again thank you

Dana Seilhan said...

I'm also doing the Moogly CAL though I came to it late. I'm going through the first four squares back to back so I'm ready on March 6 for square number five. :)

FYI to the person who asked about the slip stitches (Suzi) on round 6. When you do a slip stitch like that, it winds up riding on the side of the stitch. What I did was just poke my hook through the middle of the slip stitch and then I could get it under the top two loops of the stitch behind it like normal. I don't know if the instructions to slip stitch loosely were part of the revision, but yeah, that definitely helps. :)