Sunday, July 18, 2010

SINGLE DRAGONFLY 6IN SQUARE


 
“Single Dragonfly”
Single Dragonfly Pattern/Picture owned by: Aurora Suominen©2010
 Designer: Aurora Suominen/DragonFlyMomof2 Designs©2010
Size: 6” Square using,  Hook: H/5.0mm, Yarn Used: Worsted Weight: .63oz
______________________________________________________________
NOTES:  Bold print: Repeated in pattern.  STS=Stitches: Work into next st/chsp  JOIN: Join W/slst in beg st, (ch3, ch2, sc) unless otherwise stated.
___________________________________________________________
Abbreviations/Stitches Used                                     
Beg=Beginning    Ch=Chain    Slst=Slip Stitch    Sp=Spaces   
Sk=Skip        W/=With    St(s)=Stitch(es)    Sc=Single Crochet   
Dc=Double Crochet    Pc=Popcorn: 5dc in st, remove hook, grab loops of 1st dc, grab loops of last dc pull through.
Video link will show you how to work the wings in rnd 2

Round 1: Ch4, 15dc in 4th ch from hook,  join in top of ch4.  (16dc)

Round 2: (Ch3, dc, ch1, 2dc) in same st, (beg corner made).  Sc in next dc, ch10, slst in top of sc just made, sc in same st, ch12, slst in top of sc just made (right wings made). Fpdc in next dc, sc in next dc, ch12,  slst in top of sc just made, sc in same st, ch10, slst in top of sc just made (left wings made).  In next st, (2dc, ch1, 2dc) (corner made).  Dc in next 3dc, corner in next dc, dc in next dc, fptrc in same stitch as the 1st fpdc, dc in next dc, corner in next dc.  Dc in last 3dc and join to first ch3.

*Note* Be careful not to snag wings.  Work behind them.
Round 3: Slst into ch1sp, (ch3, 2dc, ch1, 3dc) in same sp.  Dc in next 2dc, dc in between right wings, popcorn in next st, dc in between left wings, dc in next  2dc, *in next corner sp (3dc, ch1, 3dc).  Dc in next 7dc*,  in next corner sp (3dc, ch1, 3dc).  Dc in next 3dc, fpdc in next fptrc, dc in next 3dc and repeat *to* once, join (50sts. 1pc)

*Work the corner as you did in Rnd 2 for these next two rounds.
Round 4: Ch3, dc in next 2dc, [ corner in next sp, picking up the right ch-10 wing dc in next dc, dc in next 11dc, picking up the left ch10 wing dc in next dc.  [*Corner in next sp.  Dc in next 3dc,* (ch1, skip-1dc, dc in next)4x, dc in next 2dc.]2x Repeat *to*, (ch1, sk-1dc, dc in next)3x, ch1, sk-1dc, and join. (56dc)

Round 5: Ch3, dc in next 4sts, corner in next sp. Dc in next 3dc, picking up the right ch12 wing dc in next dc, dc in next 9dc, picking up the left ch12 wing dc in next dc. Dc in next 3dc,  [*Corner in next sp, dc in next 17sts]2x, corner in next corner sp, dc in last 12sts, join. Fasten off and weave in ends.  (84dc)

Personal use/print only, no pattern reproductions, selling or copying allowed.   
See my designs & videos on my blog: http://myblueangels.blogspot.com/
Download Pattern on Ravelry:  http://www.ravelry.com/designers/aurora-suominen
Size depends on your hook, yarn, & tension.  Contact me at Bluedragonflymom@gmail.com



14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to try this some day but right now I am having enough trouble. I am working on a dbl cr ripple afghan for my daughter's boyfriend. It is 4 shades of blue.

Kathy ~~~ said...

I'm sorry, I posted to pintrest before asking. I didn't see your note. I shall take it off.

Dragonflymomof2 said...

HI Kathy, you are more than welcome to put this in pinterest. I have a new copyright, but have not added it to older patterns.

Anonymous said...

Is there a way to make the dragon fly a different color then the rest of the square??

Dragonflymomof2 said...

yes there is! I am about to post the revised pattern for the 12" version of this one as well as revising this square to reflect the color changes. I think I should have it posted late tonight or tomorrow morning.

Evelene S said...

Is it okay to make this 6" square for charity afghans?

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Hello Evelene, sure I would be honored.

Pam B said...

Not sure if my first comment went through.

I am having trouble making the wings. I don't understand how it is done. Is there a video I can watch. I guess I am not very good at following a pattern.

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Hi Pam, I will start on a video today and email that to you tonight, if you send me your email. If not I will post the link on my blog as well as commenting here that it's been posted.

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Video link is now up, you can click the link in the pattern.

Pam B said...

Thanks! I just saw my email. I will try to look at it tonight. If you can still email it to me at Navywife911@yahoo.com I would appreciate it!!

Sandy Campbell said...

Hi there! I just successfully completed a blue dragonfly square! I love it!! This square along with a couple of other squares not related to your patterns are going to Ohio to join other granny squares made by other crochet ladies....to be made into a memory blanket for the parents of an 11 yr. old little girl that took her own life due to being bullied, I guess at school. Her favorite colors where pink and blue. I made your pattern in a sky blue, and I made another square white and hot pink...a heart pattern circulating around...and will be making two of my own. I want to thank you for providing such detailed instructions...I had no problem, and no mistakes!! It is quite lovely and I must say your very talented in creating such an adorable pattern. I don't know if the little girl liked dragonflies or not, but she loved little birds and I felt she must have loved all nature and this pattern would be fitting for her likes in her short life.

These situations are very difficult for parents, I just signed up last evening to be apart of this memory blanket, and they will be going out the door to Ohio tomorrow. The squares were due on the 15th.

Once again thank you and you have a lovely evening.

Sandy

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Sandy I think what you are doing is truly inspiring. My heart and prayers go out to this family. I hope this afghan is cherished for a lifetime!! Thank you so much for your kinds words. I am so grateful to have fans who love/like my designs.

Jessica said...

I love your dragonflies and I am planning on using this square pattern to make a pair of mukluks, I think they will be very cute.