Saturday, October 16, 2010

SMALL WINTER BURST 6" SQUARE

Small Winter Burst 6” Square
G hook and Red heart WW yarn
Copyright © 2010 Aurora Suominen
Abbreviations: SS=Slip stitch, Ch=Chain, St=stitch, DC=Double Crochet, SC=Single Crochet, HDC=Half double crochet
Ch4 and join to form a ring

Round 1: Ch3, Work 15DC in ring, join. (16)

Round 2: Ch5 (counts as first st, and ch2sp) DC in same st.  *DC in next st, DC, ch2, DC in next st*. Repeat 6 more times.  DC in last st and join.  (24dc & 8ch2 sp)

Round 3: SS into ch2 sp and  Ch3, DC, Ch2, 2DC.  *DC in next st, FPDC around next st, DC in next st, In next ch2sp, work 2DC, Ch2, 2DC* Repeat 6 more times.  DC in next st, FPDC in next, DC in last st and join.  (56dc & 8 ch2 sp)

Round 4: SS into ch2sp,  Ch1, SC in same st.  (Ch3, SC in fpdc, Ch3, SC in next ch2 sp) 7 times.  Ch3, SC in fpdc, Ch3 and join to 1st sc.  (16 sc & 16 ch3 sp)

Round 5: Ch1, SC in same st.  (3SC in ch3 sp, HDC in next sc, 3SC in next ch3 sp, SC in next sc) 7 times.  3SC in ch3 sp, HDC in next sc, 3SC in last ch3 sp and join (56sc and 8 hdc)

Round 6: Loosely SS in next 8 sts.  Ch2, HDC, Ch2, 2HDC in same st.  *HDC in next 15 sts, IN next st, work 2HDC, CH2, 2HDC .* Repeat around and join.  FO

Original Pattern by Aurora Suominen Copyright © 2010
This pattern is for personal use only. Do not reprint, copy, post to any website/blog/group, or anywhere else.  You can link to this pattern if you wish.  If you sell any items made from MY pattern, please credit me as the original designer and link back to my blog.

19 comments:

Lori in Philly said...

I love your square. Well not just this one but all of them . Your designs are beautiful . The dragon fly scarf is very pretty and really unique. It has that special something that makes it stand out and say Look at how pretty I am. Keep them coming your very talented ,and then to write them down I'm in awe hope I spelled it right. Take care. Lori in Philly

Dragonflymom said...

Thank you so much, Lori.

Lynda M said...

Thank you so much! Discovering your blog is like finding a piece of heaven. I am addicted to squares and your are BEAUTIFUL! Thanks so much for the patterns.

Sarah.Crochet said...

Love this pattern! It is so pretty and simple! My twin sister and I have decided to use this pattern for a special project we hope to make together next year. Thanks for sharing!

Dragonflymom said...

Thank you so much. I can't wait to see what project your sister and you will be making.

Kari said...

Yes, Sarah and I are excited to make blankets using this square!! Do you by any chance have this pattern as a PDF? I might be losing my internet and would hate to lose access to this pattern.

Dragonflymom said...

Hi Kari yes, please email me and I will send the PDF to you. I have my email included now on my profile.

A Stitch Is A Stitch said...

How lovely. What do you do with the squares?

Dragonflymomof2 said...

I have been using them in afghans that I have been making for my family. I have one started for Aiden, one I just finished for my father. I also have a lapghan I am doing with my squares for a prize in my crochet group.

Amy said...

This is such a pretty square! I just made it and included it in my Granny Challenge on my blog with a link back to you for the pattern! http://sittingatourkitchentable.blogspot.com/2011/09/small-winterburst-square.html

Have a great day!
Amy

RebGal64 said...

Love this design, do you have a pattern for connecting them since the sides are somewhat convex? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lane Stephenson, Pastor said...

I need help connecting them, too since it is such an "un-square" shape.

Dragonflymomof2 said...

As far as connecting them, There are many ways to do so. You might also want to think about...omg I lost my train of thought......You can wet your square and pin it down on some towel/cardboard, and it should dry as you pin it. My version comes out slightly un straight, but once they are sewn together they look fine. I usually use a Slst with wrong sides facing, or a sc same way, as I like the ridge effect.

Pam said...

I do not crochet at all and I am looking for 5" squares to have my mom make for a blanket I am contributing to. I'm not sure she can adapt these to that size since her stroke. She only needs to make 4 squares and I can't see having her work hours trying to make them smaller. Do you have any that are already that size??
Thank you! Pam

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Pam are you interested in having this square made into a 5" sq? let me know for sure what square(s) you would like done and let me know if it's 5" you are needing and I will let you know.

Erin Hargrove said...

I am pretty new to crocheting so I'm sorry for the ignorant question. I'm having trouble with the last round. Why is there 3 SS and then no others going the rest of the way around. Am I missing something?
Thanks!

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Erin, I am about to publish a revised version/writing of this pattern. Let me get that posted and see if the last round is the same, and I will get back to you here.

Erin Hargrove said...

Thank you Very much!

Jill Dobis said...

What a pretty square!! I'm much more of a knitter these days (haven't crocheted in a couple years or more) but this is so pretty, I'm inspired to pick up a hook! Thank you so much for sharing!