Saturday, January 01, 2011

SNOWFALL 12" SQUARE JANUARY 2011

 
“Snow Fall” (January sq)
Designer: Aurora Suominen/DragonFlyMomof2 Designs©2010
Size: 12” Square, Hook: H/5.0mm, Yarn: Worsted Weight  
______________________________________________________________
Abbreviations & Stitches Used:  
Beg=Beginning    Ch=Chain      Slst=Slip stitch    Sc=Single crochet   
Sp(s)=Space(s)    Sk=Skip      W/=With        Dc=Double crochet   
St(s)=Stitches          Lps=Loops      Fp=Front post                  
___________________________________________________________
Notes:  Bold print: Repeated in pattern. Sts: St/Chsp. Join: W/slst in beg st.
Rnd 1: Ch4, work 15dc in 4th ch from hook, join in top of beg ch4. (16dc)

Rnd 2: Ch3, dc in same st. [Ch3, sk1, 2dc in next st]Repeat around ending w/a ch3, join. (16dc & 8 ch3)

Rnd 3: Ch1, sc in same st, sc in next dc. [2sc in chsp, 1sc in next 2dc]Repeat around ending w/2sc in last ch3sp,  join. (32sc)

Rnd 4: Ch3, dc in same st, ch3, 2dc in next st.  [Sc in next 2sc, 2dc in next sc, ch3, 2dc in next sc]Repeat around ending w/sc in last 2sc, join. (32dc, 8 Ch2, & 16sc)

Rnd 5: Slst in next 2sts, ch1, [ (2sc, ch2, 2sc) in sp, sc in next 2sts, slst in next 2sts, sc in 2sts]Repeat around, join.  (64sc. 16slst)

Rnd 6: Slst in next 2sts, ch1, sc in same st.  [Ch6, sk 5sts, dc in next slst, ch6, sk 4sts, sc in next ch2sp]Repeat around ending w/ch6, join to first sc.  (16ch6, 8dc & 8sc)

Rnd 7: Ch1, sc in same st.  [4sc in ch6 sp, 1sc in next dc, 4sc in ch6sp, sc in next sc] Repeat around. join to first sc.  (80sc)

Rnd 8:  (Ch3, dc, ch2, 2dc) in same st. (Beg corner made)  [Dc in 6sts, hdc in 8sts, dc in 5sts, (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in next st. (Corner made)] Repeat around minus last corner, join to ch3. (60dc & 32hdc)

Rnd 9: Slst in next 2sts, beg corner.  [Dc in 2 sts, (Fpdc in next st, dc in next st)10x. Dc in next dc, corner in ch2sp.] Repeat around minus last corner, join to ch3.  (108dc)

Rnd 10: Slst in next 2sts, beg corner.  [Dc in 3sts, (fpdc in next st, dc in next st)11x. Dc in 2sts, corner in chsp.] Repeat around minus last corner, join to ch3. (124dc)

Rnd 11: Slst in next 2sts, beg corner.  [Dc in 4sts, (fpdc in next st, dc in next st)12x. Dc in 3sts,  corner in ch2ps] Repeat around minus last corner, join to ch3. (140dc)

Rnd 12: Slst in next 2sts, beg corner.  [Dc in 5sts, (fpdc in next st, dc in next st)13x.  Dc in 4sts, corner in ch2sp] Repeat around minus last corner, join to ch3. (156dc)

Rnd 13: Slst in next 2sts,  ch1, 3sc in same sp.  Sc in each dc across to next corner ch2sp, and then work 3sc.  Repeat around and join. (168sc) Finish off.

Personal use/print only, no pattern reproductions, selling or copying allowed.   
See my designs & videos on my blog: http://myblueangels.blogspot.com/
Download Pattern on Ravelry:  http://www.ravelry.com/designers/aurora-suominen
Size depends on your hook, yarn, & tension.  Contact me at Bluedragonflymom@gmail.com

30 comments:

Sarah.Crochet said...

this is a beautiful square! Thanks for sharing! This is the kind of snowfall I like!!

Caroline said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!! Happy New Year!

Kimmy said...

really pretty!

katalina said...

Lovely square. Looking forward to see what you design in the coming months.

Clara said...

This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Have a wonderful year ahead!

Kristin said...

I love it! I will have to save this to work on a blanket for next winter!

xXcatalopeXx said...

As always, beautiful!

Anonymous said...

OH MY, I have been patiently waiting a new square from you. This one is so worth the wait. Thank you. It is beautiful. Ginger

Judy said...

This is really a gorgeous Square, i started making this one and found myself stuck on rd. 9. After the beginning corner it says to make 2 DC, do the repeat 10 times, then 1 more DC and the corner again. Kinda got thru that, but in Rd. 10 i dont seem to have enough stitches to do the extra DC's at the beginning and end of each repeat. what am I not wreading right? please, can someone put me on the right course
thank you so much
Judy

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Thanks ladies, Judy? give me a minute and I will get my square out to make sure it is correct against the pattern, then I will email you.

Melissa said...

Very pretty square. thanks for sharing the pattern.

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Hi Judy, ok I am not sure without talking to you in emails, but let me try to start with this, if you still find a mistake happening please email me.
Round 8 make sure you have 23 sts each side (including the corners too)
Round 9: make sure you have 27 sts each side. Counting the 2DC from each of the corner.

Round 10, 31 sts each side.

Each side shares two corners, each corner is 4 dc and one ch2 sp. but each side only shares 2dc from each of those corners.

Please email me if you still have problems, or are confused by what I just said.

maybe you can send me a picture of your square so far, that might help.

Thanks

Deb said...

I posted the link on my Facebook page so my friends can also get this pattern. It's really beautiful! Thanks for posting it. Will be working on it asap.

Anonymous said...

Just a note to say thank you so very much for sharing your talent .I have been crocheting for 40 years, been on the internet looking at patterns for many years,and must say your squares are absolutely beautiful,and so much different than lots of others I have seen.
You TRULY have a talent for designing !

Janice said...

On the Snowfall Suare every thing is coming out right but when I join the round I have a hole. Stitches are right. I have a hole on the corners.

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Hi Janice, I don't know why you would have a hole where you are joining....it really depends on how you are crocheting. I don't think it is the design of the square itself, as this is the first issue like this. I know for some of us, we will have a slight gap where we join. Some people who have this, just do a dec in the last stitch and the stitch that the first ch3 was started in. This might help with the "gap" you are seeing. Not sure what else I can tell you about that.

Elaine said...

Aurora, your squares are just stunning. I am involved in a charity, Knit-a-Square (www.knit-a-square.com) and we are always looking for new patterns for blanket squares to make for orphans in South Africa. Do you mind if I post a link to your blog on the charity's website forum?

Leandra Nightwolf said...

I just found your site and this square is absolutely gorgeous. I have found many squares that I like and hope to make them into an afghan. Thanks for sharing your work!!
Leandra

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Elaine I am not sure if I answered this, but yes you can post a link to my blog...I would love to see my squares being made for charity.

CSherry said...

First off, your squares are stunning. They look very easy to follow. The only problem that I am having is that I cannot figure out a way to print the patterns, as where I crochet is not in front of my computer. I tried to just click on print but it prints out 8-10 pages for the pattern plus all of the adds. Is there an easy way to print. Thanks Cheryl

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Hi Sherry, if you email me at Bluedragonflymom@yahoo.com and remind me of the pattern(s) you want to print, I can send you the PDFs. This will be much easier to print from.

ColleenCrochet said...

Beautiful square! I cannot wait to put my lapghan together and post pictures of it! I am finishing one up in red & white for Christmas!

Dragonflymomof2 said...

thank you so much

Ann Finnane said...

Hi just doing this granny squares, and I'm on round 8, what does HDC mean, thank's Ann

Cayla McAfee said...

Can somebody explain the transition from the end of round 5 to the beginning of round 6?
The first step of find 6 is to crochet into a chain 2 space, but that's not close enough to my ending of round 5.

Dragonflymomof2 said...

Hi Cayla, typically my patterns mean to Slst into next st and into corner chsp, I am working on rewriting these, but started with my 6" squares.

Anonymous said...

Several of us are having the same problem with ending rnd 5 and beg. rnd 6. It's not written clear enough. Is there a more concise version or are you still working on it?
TIA

Dragonflymomof2 said...

I am not sure where the problem is in rnd 5 and 6, but it's been one hectic week and this square has not been worked by me in awhile. I have re-written the pattern to my new layout, and hopefully it will make more sense. Try this

Rnd 5: Slst in next 2sts, ch1, [(2sc, ch2, 2sc) in sp, sc in next 2sts, slst in next 2sts, sc in 2sts]Repeat around, join. (64sc. 16slst)

I worked this different in that I wrote it out slightly differently. breaking it down like this, slst in next dc, slst into chsp, in that same sp work *(2sc, ch2, 2sc) then work one sc in next 2dc, work one slst into next 2sc, work one sc into next 2dc,* repeat from * around and you will end with sc in last 2dc.


Rnd 6: Slst in next 2sts, ch1, sc in same st. [Ch6, sk 5sts, dc in next slst, ch6, sk 4sts, sc in next ch2sp]Repeat around ending w/ch6, join to first sc. (16ch6, 8dc & 8sc)

Breaking down rnd 6: Slst in next sc, slst into ch2sp, in same sp, ch1, *sc in ch2sp, Ch6, skip 5sts, (which is 4sc, 1slst)you will dc in the 2nd slst, then skip 4sts this time (which is 4sc) then sc in that ch2sp.* Repeat * around ending with a ch6 join to first sc.

I hope this helps, if not, then please email me about a specific issue you are having. I am sorry to not have gotten to this sooner.

Vicki Watts said...

Just found your pattern and it looks beautiful. It also looks very easy to do. The only thing i am confused about is whether it is just one big square or do I need to make several squares.
I am making a blanket for one of the members at my church and I thought this would be a perfect Christening Blanket.

Vicki Watts said...

Did you get my comment? I need a response please.